Friday, April 4, 2014

"Art" is Something We Do

Recently I had a clarifying discussion with a friend who has been involved in performing arts for many years. She claimed that support for the arts among the general American population is dwindling. I countered that interest in the arts is as strong as it's ever been,; the difference is that the people I meet seem more interested in participating than in being merely spectators and consumers.

My friend holds a day job but aspires to a full-time career on stage. For her, ticket sales will always be a concern. I understand that. However, I'm not sure that ticket sales tell the entire "support the arts" story. These days I'm meeting a fair number of people who've recently signed up for improv classes, are looking for a good piano teacher or have taken up painting again after many years of devoting all their time to career and family. Maybe people with disposable income and an interest in an art form are more inclined than before to invest in their own creative ventures.

The PDX-SWWash area has zillions of writers' groups and one of the largest and most respected writers' conferences in the country, the Willamette Writers Conference, held each August. It has, by my own (probably insufficient) count, 26 community music organizations such as choirs and bands. Portland craigslist has so many ads for musicians seeking garage bands that it would take hours to go through one day's listings. ComedySportz and other theater groups fill up their class rosters. Collaging, scrapbooking (yes, it's an art. I'd call it a form of folk art) and photography workshops continue to be popular.

Some of the people participating in these endeavors are doing it as a career move, but I'm guessing that most are practicing their art simply because they love doing it. It enriches their lives in a way that merely spectating can't. Viewing or listening to others' work is very important, but only practicing an art can bring the feeling of total involvement that these people seek.

And they're willing to pay for classes, workshops, membership in groups, conferences and materials. Paying the cost of learning from a master of an art is a form of support. It's the form of choice for many of us. My own budget is pretty limited (and isn't this true for many of us?), and while I'll save up for a concert I really want to attend, make a point of seeing friends perform in local theater & music venues and occasionally buy a new download from Amazon, I'd choose to pay for lessons first. The afterglow from a great concert can last several days but studying under an inspiring teacher keeps the magic going on and on.

A post that makes occasional appearances on my Facebook page says "Art is a verb." Supporting the arts includes viewing the work of professionals but that's only part of it. Practicing an art for its own sake and living as artfully as possible in the workaday world may be the deepest form of support.

No comments:

Post a Comment